Tuesday, February 21, 2012

M/V Epic

    Last week I had a wonderful visit on board the MV Epic. I walked into a ship's office full of young Greek officers. We immediately clicked! As we laughed and talked we discussed all kinds of things, especially the current situation in Greece which is a major worry for every Greek seafarer I meet.. They invited me for lunch the next day..........Twelve o'clock sharp!
And so there I was for lunch......twelve o'clock sharp! They were waiting for me. The Philippino cook had prepared spaghetti .....I don't want to exaggerate but this was one of the best spaghetti meals I've ever eaten. After the meal they invited me to come to the officer's ' smoking room ' to drink some coffee and relax for a few moments. One of the younger officers asked if I was a priest and if I use holy water. I told him that I was a Protestant (a word they recognized) and that the only water we use is for baptizing believers. I asked them if they go to church faithfully every Sunday morning when they are at home.  "The older people in Greece do but not so much the younger generation " was the answer. " I want to sleep in and if I go I  don't understand what the priest is talking about anyways " was one of the answers. The discussion turned to sin vs good works. Here I stated my opinion that only Jesus Christ can forgive us our sins. The older Chief Engineer brought up the fact that everything in this life is  ordained and so our discussion turned to the sovereignty of God....of all things.

I've never had a discussion like this before on board a ship with 6 or 7 crew members, especially not with European ones.The discussion ended  because the men had to go back to work again. The next day the ship left with a load of coal for Turkey, a voyage of 50-53 days.....What a wonderful visit!